Monday, November 23, 2009

First Acceptance of failure

I feel really let down. I feel like a wastrel. I have delayed my efforts. I feel self doubted.
I spent almost 8-9 months, on two papers (for which I was the second author) and coding in C/C++ for even proof of Idea. The result was, I ended up being a programmer :(

I could have achieved so much more. I can at least confess that the past 6 months have been a super unproductive time. I feel like I was a short-sighted amateur researcher, who could not have known better.

Hopefully the next 6 weeks, before new years will be at least useful and productive in terms of experimentation.

Here goes my nights of sleep and peace of mind.
I won't be able to rest till I see the light at the end of this tunnel.

Will I be able to meet SIGIR deadline? God only knows

2 comments:

  1. Don't worry about the time you spent on coding. Even Prof. Feynmann did that when he started off!

    I hope you were able to meet the SIGIR deadline.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that you can stick to python, octave (or matlab) and haskell instead of c/c++. Though the speed up in C is incomparable, but the time that you can save in these other programming languages is gr8. These are good for experimentation and speed up can be achieved later by incorporating profiling and coding slow parts in c/c++. Wishing u a happi coding.

    ReplyDelete