1) Have a data folder "research" that needs backing up , and checking out from either lab computer or home computer
2) Create two users on the server machine (where you run svnadmin commands)
3) From either the lab computer or the home machine use svn co svn+ssh://
4) the passwd file in /pathtorepos/conf/passwd is not of any use... this file really got me twisted. No matter what the contents of this file are, there needs to be a login on the
5) last but not the least. once the "research" folder is imported, one needs to check it back out on to the machine where modifications need to be made.